Sunday, September 9, 2012

Book Review: Divergent


Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Publication: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: May 3, 2011
Amazon Rating: 4.5 out of 5
My rating: 5 out of 5

Summary: Beatrice, or Tris, lives in a dystopian society where Chicago is split into 5 different factions. At the age of sixteen Beatrice and the other sixteen year olds have to go through a test in order to pick what faction they have to live in. Beatrice ends up choosing a faction that is the complete opposite as her. In the new faction she meets a guy, Four, that she ends up having a love interest with. When they first met she changed completely, even changing her name to Tris. Then she finds out that certain another faction is about to go to war. Her life gets turned upside down and has to learn to change with it.  

My Review: Let me first just say that I don’t really like dystopian books, but this is one of the best I have ever read. I think I don’t like those kinds of books because I find them really un-realistic. But I need to get over that thought because I am missing out on a lot of good reads. I find Beatrice as one of the best female characters I have ever read about. She starts out being the reserved type and always does what she is told. Then after the test that her society takes when everyone turns sixteen, she takes a different path completely. Which I love because it shows that she is willing to take a risk on something new. While in the new faction she goes through a series of mini tests in order to become a Dauntless. She ends up falling for Four, an experienced Dauntless. What I love about their relationship is that it wasn’t an, I love now we are going to marry kind of thing. They grew into each other and it was more realistic. They new each other’s boundaries before they started anything. A lot of action, mystery, and suspense are in this book. It is a must read!

Picture

  • http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8306857-divergent


1 comment:

  1. Can I just say that I pushed you to read this for months!! Then I finally you read it! But I agree, other than The Hunger Games, this is one of the best dystopian/post-apocalyptic books there is on shelves. I highly recommend that everybody reads this book! - also read the second one in the series - Insurgent! (:

    ReplyDelete